Smoke & Fire Damage Dangers
Fire damage is one of the most violent and traumatic events when compared to all types of elemental-based disasters. Some of the damage is obvious just by looking, but there are, however, a few subtle (yet still potentially deadly) effects that fire damage can cause that are harder to recognize.
Soot health risks
Even after the home has been restored after a fire if it’s not adequately cleaned some soot residue may remain. Soot is composed of tiny little particles of burnt material. The particles are so small they can actually penetrate into your lungs and bloodstream before you even know it. Breathing in soot is no small danger as it can cause reproductive harm and even cancer. Don’t take the risk after a fire. Make sure your home has been properly restored by professionals so this doesn’t happen to you.
Hidden structural damage
Once the immediate and most visible effects of the fire have been taken care of, don’t forget to focus on something even more important, the structural integrity of the home. Even if the fire just affected a small portion of your home it is essential to get this checked because the heat could have weakened some vital, foundational spots of your home and when too much pressure is put in the wrong place it could cause a total collapse.
This is one most people don’t consider. Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous mineral that is used in many parts of a home. A fire will disturb the asbestos and cause some its fibers to go throughout the air. This is dangerous because when these fibers are inhaled, they aggravate and scar lung tissue. It will cause shortness of breath and a crackling sound when inhaling. It can even lead to lung cancer and mesothelioma. These asbestos fibers aren’t released unless they are disturbed and a fire is the perfect thing to set it off.
Mold and mildew
Mold and mildew damage is another often overlooked danger. It can take thousands of gallons of water to extinguish a fire in a home or business. A lot of that water will be evaporated because of the heat of the fire, but where does the rest of it go? The answer isn’t too complicated. It just sits there. That is the perfect recipe for mold and mildew growth. Many common types of mold will cause irritation and other small symptoms, but be on the lookout for black mold. Black mold grows in dark, damp places so it can be hard to detect. The symptoms caused by black mold can be mental and neurological problems, skin conditions, vision problems, issues with your immune system, and in severe cases death.
There’s a lot more to fire damage than meets the eye. Don’t just sit back and relax because you can’t see the effects anymore. When this type of damage occurs look to Advanced Disaster Recovery Inc. located in New Hampton, New York area. We are experienced in fire restoration and know how to not just get your home looking good again, but make sure it is safe too.